Mark W. DeMonte
312.270.2349 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark DeMonte has nearly 15 years of experience resolving complex and difficult disputes through creative problem solving, whether inside or outside of the courtroom. His work covers a variety of forums, from prelitigation settlement, litigation in state and federal courts, regulatory proceedings before state administrative agencies, and in arbitration and mediation. He focuses on the early assessment of potential claims, defenses, and settlement, while efficiently handling discovery (including managing the costs of e-discovery), pretrial motion practice, trial, post-trial, and appeals, when necessary.
Mark provides counseling to energy and water companies on assessing and addressing legal risk without disrupting the business goals, as well as legislative matters involving the future of energy and water regulation. He regularly practices before the Illinois Commerce Commission in a wide range of regulatory proceedings involving energy efficiency and demand response, smart grid, energy and capacity procurement, formula ratemaking, traditional rate cases, rulemaking proceedings, and approval of nearly a billion dollars of total cost recovery for clients.
In his litigation practice, Mark has represented plaintiffs and defendants in litigation matters involving class actions, claims for breach of contract, insurance, tortious interference, trade secret misappropriation, fraud, administrative claims, state and federal False Claims Acts, and founded upon the Fourth, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution. He also has led or been part of teams that handled internal investigations conducted for clients to assess compliance with various state and federal laws and represents clients under investigation by state and federal agencies and the Illinois Attorney General’s Office.
Panels and Presentations
- Public Utility Regulatory Update, National Association of Water Companies – Annual Illinois Chapter Conference (June 12, 2019)
- The Ohio State University, J.D. (2004)
- Illinois Wesleyan University, B.A. (2000)
- Illinois; U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- Northern District of Indiana; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Robert L. Miller Jr., Chief Judge, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana (2004-2006)
- Judicial extern to the Honorable R. Guy Cole Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (Fall 2003)