Anne M. Zehr
312.251.3018 | email@example.com
For nearly a decade, Anne has represented investor-owned gas, electric, and water/sewer utilities before the Illinois Commerce Commission and Appellate Courts, securing for her clients regulatory and judicial approvals in, to date, seventeen rate cases and numerous infrastructure construction, eminent domain, rider, financing, management audit, and rulemaking proceedings. Before joining Whitt Sturtevant, Anne litigated consumer finance and product liability claims on behalf of Fortune 500 companies.
Anne passionately promotes women’s initiatives in the energy industry. She currently serves as Director of Community Initiatives on the Chicago Women’s Energy Network Board of Directors, where she encourages industry professionals to energize their community through volunteerism. She previously served as WEN Chicago’s Chair of External Mentoring. Anne has also actively supported the annual Chicago Women’s Energy Summit. She served on the summit’s inaugural 2014 and 2015 Planning Committees and, most recently, moderated the Got Leadership? Leading, Learning and Utilizing Your Network panel at the 2017 summit’s Rising Star Forum.
Anne is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Ohio. She earned her Juris Doctorate from The Ohio State University and a Bachelor of Arts from Miami University (Oxford). She is a National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners’ Utility Rate School graduate, a National Institute for Trial Advocacy’s Trial Skills Chicago Program graduate, and former Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Energy, Telecommunications and Water Committee.
Anne is unduly competitive at ping pong and pub games.
- Ten years’ experience representing investor-owned public utilities in myriad proceedings before state regulatory commissions and courts, including in over fifteen rate cases.
- Represented Illinois-American Water Company and Aqua Illinois, Inc., jointly, in Illinois rulemaking regarding the regulatory accounting alternatives for cloud-based computing solutions.
- Assisted Illinois-American Water Company and Aqua Illinois, Inc. in securing regulatory approvals related to water and sewer systems acquisitions under Illinois’ fair market value legislation.
- Litigated approval, for utility clients, of numerous alternative rate regulation mechanisms, including performance-based electric formula rates, decoupling riders, and aging infrastructure investment cost recovery riders.
- Secured regulatory authorization for Ameren Illinois Company and Ameren Transmission Company of Illinois to construct and operate over 550 miles of high voltage electric transmission lines in Illinois, including the $1.2 billion ATXI Illinois Rivers transmission project.
- Represented Ameren Illinois in approval, implementation, annual rate filing updates, and related appeals of 2012-2018 performance-based electric formula rate.
- Represented electric, gas, and water utilities in other facility infrastructure siting approvals and related condemnation proceedings.
- Represented electric, gas, and water utilities in Commission-ordered management audits and affiliate approvals.
Panels and Presentations
- Panelist, Infrastructure Upgrades, Consumer Benefits and Capacity Payments: Amended Illinois Water Systems Viability Act, Institute for Regulatory Policy Studies annual conference (October 2018)
- Panelist, Regulatory Ratemaking, Chicago Women’s Energy Network professional development evening (October 2018)
- Moderator, Got Leadership? Leading, Learning and Utilizing Your Network, Chicago Women’s Energy Summit Rising Star Forum (September 2017)
- Panelist, emPowering Girls,Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago/Women’s Energy Summit badge event (February 2017)
- The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University, J.D. (2005)
- National Moot Court Team
- Articles Editor, Ohio State Law Journal
- Miami University, B.A., cum laude (2002)
- University Honors Program
- Honors Thesis, Psychology