Anne M. Zehr
312.251.3018 | email@example.com
Anne has been representing investor-owned gas, electric, and water/sewer utilities before the Illinois Commerce Commission and Appellate Courts for over a decade now, securing for her clients in that time regulatory and judicial approvals in, to date, 20 rate cases and numerous infrastructure construction, rider, financing, management audit, regulation variance, eminent domain, and rulemaking proceedings, among others. Before joining Whitt Sturtevant at the firm’s 2012 inception, Anne litigated consumer finance and product liability claims in federal and state courts across the U.S. on behalf of Fortune 500 companies with the Columbus and Chicago offices of a first-tier litigation boutique.
Throughout her career, Anne has passionately promoted women’s initiatives – in the energy and legal professions and beyond. She currently serves on the Planning Committee for Habitat for Humanity Chicago’s annual Women Build, which raises awareness, funds, and walls to break down barriers to women homeownership. She also serves on the Planning Committee for the annual Chicago Women’s Energy Summit, and has participated in the annual summit, as a Rising Star Forum panel moderator. From 2015 to 2020, Anne sat on the Chicago Women’s Energy Network’s Board of Directors, where she served as Director of Community Initiatives, encouraging women energy industry professionals to energize their community through volunteerism. Anne also volunteers alongside other attorney moms in Chicago Public Schools classrooms with Lawyers in the Classroom, helping elementary students better understand the U.S. Constitution, our legal system, and law-related careers.
Anne is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Ohio. She earned her Juris Doctorate from The Ohio State University and a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Psychology from Miami University (Oxford). She is a former Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Energy, Telecommunications and Water Committee and a graduate of both the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners’ Utility Rate School and the National Institute for Trial Advocacy’s Trial Skills Chicago Program.
Anne is unduly competitive at ping pong and pub games.
- Over ten years’ experience representing investor-owned public utilities in myriad proceedings before state regulatory commissions and courts, including in over twenty rate cases.
- Presented oral argument before the Illinois Commerce Commission on utility return on equity, capital structure, and executive compensation matters.
- Represented Illinois’ three largest investor owned public utilities in the Illinois Commerce Commission’s emergency disconnection moratoria proceeding initiated as a result of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, working with regulator, consumer advocate, and utility stakeholders to navigate the customer service and regulatory challenges brough about by the pandemic.
- Represented Illinois-American Water Company and Aqua Illinois, Inc., jointly, in Illinois rulemaking regarding the regulatory accounting alternatives for cloud-based computing solutions.
- Assisted Illinois-American Water Company and Aqua Illinois, Inc. in securing regulatory approvals related to water and sewer systems acquisitions under Illinois’ fair market value legislation.
- Litigated approval, for utility clients, of numerous alternative rate regulation mechanisms, including performance-based electric formula rates, decoupling riders, and aging infrastructure investment cost recovery riders.
- Secured regulatory authorization for Ameren Illinois Company and Ameren Transmission Company of Illinois to construct and operate over 550 miles of high voltage electric transmission lines in Illinois, including the $1.2 billion ATXI Illinois Rivers transmission project.
- Represented Ameren Illinois in approval, implementation, annual rate filing updates, and related appeals of 2012-2018 performance-based electric formula rate.
- Represented electric, gas, and water utilities in other facility infrastructure siting approvals and related condemnation proceedings.
- Represented electric, gas, and water utilities in Commission-ordered management audits and affiliate approvals.
Panels and Presentations
- Public Utility Regulatory Update, National Association of Water Companies – Annual Illinois Chapter Conference (June 12, 2019)
- Panelist, Infrastructure Upgrades. Consumer Benefits and Capacity Payments: Amended Illinois Water Systems Viability Act, Institute for Regulatory Policy Studies annual conference (October 2018)
- Panelist, Regulatory Ratemaking, Chicago Women’s Energy Network professional development event (October 2018)
- Moderator, Got Leadership? Leading, Learning and Utilizing Your Network, Chicago Women’s Energy Summit Rising Star Forum (September 2017)
- Panelist, emPowering Girls, Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago/Women’s Energy Summit badge event (February 2017)
- The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University, J.D. (2005)
- National Moot Court Team
- Articles Editor, Ohio State Law Journal
- Miami University, B.A., cum laude (2002)
- University Honors Program
- Honors Thesis, Psychology