ANNE M. ZEHR
Anne represents natural gas, electric, and water/sewer industry clients in all manner of proceedings before state regulatory agencies and courts. Prior to joining Whitt Sturtevant LLP, Anne worked in the energy regulatory practice at a litigation boutique, where her practice also focused on product liability defense for large consumer product manufacturers and litigating consumer finance matters on behalf of major financial institutions. She has considerable appellate experience.
Anne earned her law degree from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2005), where she was a member of the law school’s National Moot Court Team and served as an Articles Editor on the Ohio State Law Journal. While in law school, Anne also received runner-up awards for Best Appellate Brief and Best Overall in the school’s annual Herman Moot Court Competition. Anne graduated cum laude with majors in Political Science and Psychology from Miami University (Ohio), and with University Honors for her thesis work in the field of psychology.
Anne is the Director of Community Initiatives on the Women’s Energy Network, Chicago Chapter, Board of Directors. She previously served as Chair of External Mentoring. In 2014, she served on the Planning Committee for the inaugural Chicago Women’s Energy Summit. She has since actively supported the annual Summit, most recently moderating the Got Leadership? Leading, Learning and Utilizing Your Network panel at the 2017 Summit’s Rising Star Forum. Anne chaired the Chicago Bar Association’s Energy, Telecommunications and Water Committee from 2014-2015, and, before that, served as the Committee’s Legislative Liaison. She is a graduate of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners’ Utility Rate School and of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy’s Trial Skills Chicago Program.
- Ten years of experience representing public utilities before state regulatory commissions and courts.
- Represented utilities in numerous water and energy rate proceedings, including ten electric, water and gas rate cases in Illinois in the last five years, and related appeals.
- Implemented alternative rate regulation mechanisms, including Illinois performance based electric formula rate law, decoupling, and infrastructure and other cost recovery riders.
- Secured approval to construct and operate over 550 miles of high voltage electric transmission lines in Illinois, including the $1.2 billion Illinois Rivers transmission project.
- Represented Ameren Illinois in approval, implementation, annual rate filing updates, and related appeals of 2012 performance-based electric formula rate mechanism in Illinois.
- Represented electric, gas and water utilities in facility siting approval proceedings, subsequent appeals, and related condemnation authority proceedings.
- Represented Illinois utilities in Commission ordered audits and investigations of utility service and affiliate relationships.
The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University, J.D. (2005)
- National Moot Court Team
- Articles Editor, Ohio State Law Journal
Miami University, B.A., cum laude (2002)