ANDREW J. CAMPBELL
Andy has invested his legal career in advising clients in the public utility and energy industries and litigating on their behalf. After completing a federal judicial clerkship, Andy’s first case at Jones Day was the successful defense of an appeal from a natural-gas-deregulation order of the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. Since then, he has continued to provide thoughtful analysis and skillful representation in all manner of regulatory cases, from the simple to the most sophisticated. He has represented major natural gas, electric, and water utilities, as well as competitive retail energy suppliers, in state regulatory proceedings and state courts.
Andy left Jones Day to accept an appointment as Master Commissioner with the Supreme Court of Ohio, where he served until joining the Firm. His primary responsibility with the Court was advising it in all appeals from the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio and the Ohio Power Siting Board. His responsibilities also included cases involving state and federal constitutional law, taxation, and attorney discipline. He also served the Court in cases invoking its original jurisdiction. In that capacity, he was twice appointed by the Chief Justice to receive evidence and make evidentiary rulings; once in a case involving flooding on Grand Lake St. Marys, and again (as a special master) in a dispute between Youngstown’s city council and its municipal judges. See State ex rel. Doner v. Logan, No. 2009-1292; State ex rel. Kobly v. Youngstown City Council, No. 2009-0866.
Andy’s experience inside the courts extends beyond his service as a Master Commissioner. After law school, he also spent an invaluable year as a law clerk for the Honorable Jeffrey Sutton, of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. And during law school, he served as a legal extern to Chief Justice Thomas Moyer.
Andy is a summa cum laude graduate of The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, where he was a Moritz Scholar and a managing editor of the Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law. He also earned a B.A. in English from the Ohio State University, graduating magna cum laude.
- Successfully represented public utilities in numerous litigated proceedings, including rate cases, establishment of infrastructure riders, multi-stage deregulatory proceedings, commission investigations, consumer complaints, and incentive ratemaking.
- Counseled public utilities on regulatory issues related to major financial transactions, including $85 million bond sale by Aqua Ohio, Inc. and $1.5 billion joint venture involving Dominion East Ohio.
- Secured stay of challenged order pending appeal, reinstitution of proposed rates, and 7 – 0 decision reversing order in Dominion East Ohio v. Public Utilities Commission, Ohio Supreme Court Case No. 2012-2117.
- Advised the Supreme Court of Ohio (2009-2012) as Master Commissioner in appeals from the Public Utilities Commission and Power Siting Board and in appeals presenting major constitutional issues from the Board of Tax Appeals and the courts of appeal.
- Appointed by two Chief Justices of the Ohio Supreme Court to preside over the reception of evidence in proceedings under the Court’s original jurisdiction. See State ex rel. Doner v. Logan, No. 2009-1292 (concerning flooding on Grand Lake St. Marys); State ex rel. Kobly v. Youngstown City Council, No. 2009-0866 (concerning condition of municipal court facilities).
- Drafted winning brief in appeals to the Ohio Supreme Court, intermediate Ohio appellate courts, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
The Moritz College of Law at The Ohio State University, J.D., summa cum laude (2005)
- Managing Editor, Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law
- Awarded Michael E. Moritz Merit Scholarship in Law (full tuition plus stipend)
The Ohio State University, B.A., magna cum laude(1999)
Law Clerk to the Honorable Jeffrey S. Sutton, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Judicial Extern to Chief Justice Thomas J. Moyer, Supreme Court of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, ND Ohio