ALBERT D. STURTEVANT
Bert is a founding Partner of Whitt Sturtevant LLP. His practice focuses on public utility regulation, litigation and counseling on behalf of natural gas, electric, and water utility clients in state regulatory, appellate and related proceedings.
Bert has significant experience in water and energy rate proceedings, including representation of Ameren’s Illinois utilities in their 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015 distribution rate cases and Illinois-American Water Company in its 2007, 2009, and 2011 rate cases. Bert also represented Ameren Illinois in the 2012 implementation of Illinois’ performance based electric formula rate law and subsequent annual rate filings.
Bert has also represented electric, gas and water utilities in transmission line and facility siting approval proceedings, including proceedings for certificates of public convenience to construct and operate over 550 miles of electric transmission lines in Illinois; related condemnation authority proceedings; merger, reorganization and acquisition approvals; complaint cases and regulatory audits and investigations; and other matters before state utility commissions. He also has experience in related appellate court proceedings, including judicial review of regulatory agency decisions.
Prior to joining the Firm, Bert was an attorney in Jones Day’s energy regulatory practice for eight years and then a partner in the regulatory practice at a litigation boutique. Before law school, Bert spent several years in the environmental services field in China, including work as a consultant for the British firm of Atkins China in Hong Kong. He is a graduate of Stanford University (B.A., 1994), New York University (J.D., 2002) and is admitted to practice in Illinois and the U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois.
- Over 13 years of experience representing public utilities before state regulatory commissions and courts.
- Represented utilities in numerous water and energy rate proceedings, including ten electric, water and gas rate cases in Illinois in the last five years, and related appeals.
- Implemented alternative rate regulation mechanisms, including Illinois performance based electric formula rate law, decoupling, and infrastructure and other cost recovery riders.
- Secured approval to construct and operate over 550 miles of high voltage electric transmission lines in Illinois, including the $1.2 billion Illinois Rivers transmission project.
- Represented Ameren Illinois in approval, implementation, annual rate filing updates, and related appeals of 2012 performance-based electric formula rate mechanism in Illinois.
- Represented electric, gas and water utilities in facility siting approval proceedings, subsequent appeals, and related condemnation authority proceedings.
- Represented Illinois utilities in Commission ordered audits and investigations of utility service and affiliate relationships.
- Represented Illinois-American Water Company in obtaining approval for transaction by RWE to divest American Water Works Co., Inc., and related appeals.
New York University, J.D. (2002)
Stanford University, B.A. (1994)
U.S District Court, N.D. Illinois